Sunday 16 August 2015

Guess who's coming for dinner?

flowers around the house ready to greet the visitors
Last night we had some guests to Glenquarry Goddess, some family from Bris Vegas on a road trip came to spend a couple of nights here with us.












more flowers....





and yet more flowers.....






















So what's a girl to do but make something warm and delicious for the wary travellers?  How about some Moroccan chicken slow cooked in the oven? But wait there's more....
some first season peaches and pears poached in cointreau.

Are you hungry?

Here it is so you can make it for yourself, feel free to experiment with the ingredients.... as you know I am pretty casual cook so just use the amount spice you are comfortable with.





I like to use free range chicken, although sometimes I'm not sure it's really free range.

I used preserved lemons, but you could use any lemons or oranges 

My home made Moroccan spice and the dukkah

I dry the chicken with paper towel and I just stuffed into the cavity, dried fruit, apricot, cranberries, figs, 2 of the preserved lemons ( you can use any dried fruit you like)

Then I add my Moroccan spice and dukkah to the outside, just massage it  in!

I used a little bit of hazelnut oil in the bottom of the pan, but any good oil is fine.

Put the chicken in and then layer with any veggies you like, I used celery, carrots, red onions, red capsicum, garlic and some dried blood oranges on the top for a bit of a added showpiece!

A bit of Verjuice as it adds a bit of extra flavour, I also added some freshly squeezed blood orange juice


Then cover the dish  (use foil if you don't have a covered pan, it keeps the moisture in) and place in oven, I cooked it at 200 degrees for 2 hours, but you can cook it slower and at a lower temperature.



Meanwhile, get your  just desserts  ready. ;-)



our fruit for dessert, with the verjuice and cointreau
This is a really nice honey I get from Harris Farm Markets, but you can use any honey and add your own spices

Cut the fruit in half and layer into a baking dish, mix cointreau verjuice  and honey and pour over  cover and cook for about 30 mins 180 degrees. Until soft. 
Here's dinner!


some dukkah crusted pumpkin just baked in the oven  and fresh green beans for  sides

Bon Appetit!



1 comments:

Anonymous said...

It was divine xx

 
template by suckmylolly.com : background by Tayler : dingbat font TackODing