Monday 4 August 2014

working 24/7, what happened to 9 to 5?

One of the reasons for taking a gap year at this stage of life was to find some time to clear  my mind, think about where I've been and what I would like the rest of my life to look like, personally, professionally etc.

Two weeks in,  and the fog is clearing from my brain. Corporate life is rapidly becoming a dim distant memory and I find that for 8 hours of my nursing shift I can be a caring sharing individual, but can leave that person at work and come home and think about things other than work.

I got to thinking the other day how pervasive technology is, and now your work day can encompass 24 hours a day.

For instance when I had a blackberry for work, it had a function where you could turn off email on the weekend so you didn't see the emails piling up on the weekends and feel tempted to read them.


Then work gave us iPhones and iPads, and although there was a lot of good about them from a work point of view, they sort of extended your working day. for example if you were using them out of work hours ( as we were permitted to), and you saw you had email, it was very hard not to click and read the email, and hey presto there you were working in your own time!

Now I know some people will say this technology makes working life more flexible, I agree but I wonder how much of our personal time is slowly being taken up by "technology creep".

On a lighter side, here is a clip I came across a few years back, its about blackberry phones but I think it could be relevant for the "screen idols" of today!

Blackberry



0 comments:

 
template by suckmylolly.com : background by Tayler : dingbat font TackODing