Tuesday 12 August 2014

playing in my own backyard... part 2

 Sunday was another beautiful sunny day here so we decided to go for a drive.  Do you remember Sunday drives as a kid?  Remember when there was nothing open on Sundays and so Mum and Dad would load the kids in the car, pack a picnic and the thermos and go for a "drive"?  Well apart from the fact that now we can get coffee almost anywhere and don't need the thermos, we went for an old fashioned Sunday drive.

It was actually on the same way I went the day before to the truffle farm, but it was eons since we had gone down that way, so to me it was a no brainer to go and investigate what had changed over the years.

We drove through Kangaloon into Robertson and stopped at a local cafe for coffee. Last time I was at this cafe it was quite different to how it is now.

It has had a change of owner and now is Rockabellas roadside diner. It was a lovely warm haven on a Sunday morning with the slow combustion fire going and good coffee to be had.



It is decorated in a kind of funky retro decor and they also have vintage wares for sale, that is so up my alley! I just love this antique bar, it came from a flat in London, and it looks even better in the flesh!


vintage kitchen wares for sale

I can recommend the coffee

More funky retro decor



Then we went driving to an  area called Belmore Falls, it is part of Morton National Park.  When I lived here as a teenager it was the obligitory place we took visitors to show them the sights.  And of course in the arrogance of youth I didn't see what the fuss was all about. BUT now with more mature eyes I can see how spectacular and wonderful the countryside and scenery is. Please have a wander in my backyard.....

View from Hindmarsh's Lookout

looking down from Hindmarsh's Lookout into Kangaroo Valley

View of Upper Kangaroo Valley with cows

Kangaroo Valley

That's Kangaroo Valley township in the distance

Belmore Falls 

looking across the valley to Wildes Meadow, that place has a view to die for!

I love the sandstone escarpment


I didn't expect to see much water going over the falls as we have had no rain here for months, but there was still a waterfall.

One thing that was really noticeable to me  was that when I lived here as a teenager all the farms were working potato farms with very modest homes. My,  how times have changed! Not a modest farm house or potato farm to be seen.

All fancy-ancy designer "properties" and mostly cattle and horses, and most I suspect are weekenders for the well heeled. We locals joke that Bowral is the southernmost eastern suburb of Sydney. You can get the Eastern Suburbs Wentworth Courier newspaper at our local newsagents and another giveaway  called Latte Life which is also from the Eastern Suburbs.

I guess you can take some people out of the Eastern Suburbs but you can't take the Eastern Suburbs out of the people!

For my overseas readers, here is a quick geography lesson about Sydney.....

























0 comments:

 
template by suckmylolly.com : background by Tayler : dingbat font TackODing