Thursday 22 December 2011

An apple a day....

NYC: the big apple, not sure which one it is, a granny smith, a fuji? I think most likely a Pink Lady.

Arrived safe and sound, ensconced in the Marriott East Side for 2 nights before we go to our house in Harlem.

things I did today,
went walking around 5th Ave, I can't believe there is supposed to be a recession here,  there were people everywhere and spending money. The decorations are amazing, not not awesome, which is a word that is far too over used here!


My significant other spent the afternoon shopping, I went along as his personal stylist.
We went to FAO Schwartz and I couldn't get out of there fast  enough, it was so hot and crowded, that is the trouble, it is not that cold, but they overheat everything here inside, currently it is about 60 degrees Fahrenheit here.

I took some pictures, I will add them later, but for my friend Baby Macbeth, I saw this dress from Stella McCartney and model in the window and thought it was just like you!


It would not be a day without a couple of fox paws, here is my list for today.

1. Had brunch in a Jewish cafe and asked if I could have ham on my panini, NO!

2. when leaving wished everyone Merry Christmas!   (not quite Kosher)

and then the doozy,

we booked to go to the River Cafe, it is a very flash and expensive restaurant in Brooklyn just under the bridge and has a great view of Manhattan, we took Meaghan and Damian there to spend some "special time" with them.

Meg and Damian at River Cafe


When I confirmed our booking they told me that gentlemen need to wear a suit coat. Now, I am not that up with the hoi poli, ( as my mother would have called them)  but I thought that rule went out in Australia about 1980, so I made sure our "men" had their suit coats  (and ties just in case!)

Anyway it was overheated ( as previously explained) and the "Men" took their coats off,  and about 5 minutes later , the coat monitor came and told them to please put their coats on!  Funny thing was another man took the lead off the Aussies and took his coat off and also was told to put it back on.

I am not sure what it is about a coat that is so special, does it confer a sense of gravitas or does it make sure that you will not wreck the restaurant or can afford the bill? It is a bit of a strange thing as a coat does not maketh  the man, or I think Shakespeare said something to that effect. I mean if a rapper or drug dealer can wear a suit jacket where does that leave civilisation??

Saying that it was a wonderful meal and well recommended if you want somewhere special to eat in  NYC.

End of Day 1,  as I write this Significant Other has just cut his foot on a shard of glass in our room, ( not from us) and we now have the hotel detective and cleaning staff doing a CSI of our room just in case we sue!

Only In America!

FAO Schwartz in 5th Avenue

Plaza outside FAO Schwartz where I sat to cool down

Plaza Hotel where Carrie ran into Big after his engagement party

 
The BIG PIANO at FAO Schwartz
watch this space!

1 comments:

BabyMac said...

Kate! I NEEEED that dress. For tomorrow. I guess your Leona Edminston will just have to do!

 
template by suckmylolly.com : background by Tayler : dingbat font TackODing