Thursday 17 July 2014

A little thing can go a long way

Gap year, day 1.

In our mail box yesterday there was an envelope addressed to me, and it was not a bill!

That was pretty exciting I must say, but what was inside was even more interesting.

As part of my gap year I have gone back to nursing and have just started working at the local private hospital, just working on a casual (on-call) basis, because I can assure you there is nothing casual about nursing!






Anyway, in this envelope was this...


It was a gift voucher for our local cinema for 2, a birthday gift from the hospital!  

I must say I was very impressed, for a couple of reasons.

The fact that the hospital CEO actually made time to personally write a message in the card,  and the fact they had process in place to send employees a birthday gift! In all my years of working I don't think I ever had a gift or card from the boss ( colleagues, etc of course, but not the boss).


It's only a small thing, but it really impressed me, and it got me to thinking how little things can make such a big difference to our everyday lives. Also I thought it was lovely they used the local cinema to get their gifts so that the money was staying in our local community.

Another side to this story, apparently last week an ex-patient came into the hospital to visit a friend, and went to the CEO and said how wonderful the nurses were to them when they were a patient and to their friend and gave the CEO money for the nurses to have a afternoon tea party!  How's that?

I think it is important that we remember to thank people for their work and service, unprompted and without expecting something in return. We are all ready to complain and criticise if things are not quite right but remember what your mother used to say....
"it costs nothing to be polite".

Gap year day 2, today I'm off to work at the hospital this afternoon,  so I'll catch you later.






0 comments:

 
template by suckmylolly.com : background by Tayler : dingbat font TackODing