Sunday 21 July 2013

Spending time, losing time.

It's a sunny, but cold and windy day here at GG central. I am sitting here in the lounge room next to the fire, doing what I do best.....wasting time on the internet.

It all started today when the Significant Other went to a community meeting about our local hall. In many country towns around Australia there are school of Arts, or community halls that are falling into rack and ruin because of lack of funding to keep them going, ours is one of them.  So it looks like the local council will take over the responsibility for the on-going maintenance and insurance  of the hall and the local community will continue to fund raise to provide better facilities for us all.

Anyway, I got to thinking about how we could do some fundraising and then had the scathingly brilliant idea of having a 1920's/Great Gatsby ball next April. As our hall is officially known as the "Glenquarry Peace Memorial Hall" and was opened on April 29 1920 I think this theme would be entirely appropriate.

So I began searching on the internet for any references to our hall and then somehow I got onto this amazing site which is a treasure trove of all types of stuff, go on check it out.!

And so I found out a lot more about our hall, and the fun and merriment that used to go on there during the 1920's. Also a piece of trivia for you, our hall has a link to Don Bradman, can you guess how? (answer at the end of the post)


So now I find myself looking through back issues of the Women's Weekly 1966 editions (don't ask how I got there) but I found  this beauty  and remember when my friends and I would strike poses like this when pretending to be models!  What is it about the leg thrusting????  And of course  you should always wear a rain hat when wearing your swim suit (!)







Do you find yourself losing great chunks of your life while on the internet?




* Jessie Menzies family donated the piece of land upon which our Glenquarry Hall was built.!


0 comments:

 
template by suckmylolly.com : background by Tayler : dingbat font TackODing