Sunday 30 June 2013

Badges of Honour

Today is the last day of the Sydney Monorail winding its way around Darling Harbour and the city. From what I have been hearing in the media, it won't be missed a lot,  but it reminded me that I had a piece of history related to the monorail.

Here it is

a badge from the original protest against the monorail. I have managed to keep it all these years in a box where I keep old coins and badges. 

As I was looking for it I came across a couple more vintage badges from the late 1970's,  from the time when Gough Whitlam had been sacked as Prime Minister and Malcolm Fraser installed.  One even managed to combine 2 political protest movements, the sacking of Gough and the exporting of uranium as shown below..



I think that is meant to be the opposite of a good day!
My favourite, and don't you love the caricature?

It got me to thinking as I am wont to do, we don't seem to do or wear badges like we used to. I had quite a collection over the years, some hilarious, some philosophical and some downright silly. However they were a good way to convey what you were thinking, a bit like wearing your heart on your sleeve, you wore your badge on your lapel. Here are a couple of other oldies but goodies.




Mothers Day circa 1989 or 1990, Mothers got free rides at Luna Park on Mothers Day, and I sure got my mother's day worth!


Need I say more??

I have been known to wear this one to work on occasions!

A good message for all of us

Remember the "flat cat" craze of the mid 1990's, I loved them, this one especially appealed to me.


A funny story about one of my most favourite badges. I bought this particular  one in Leichhardt around 1980 on a Saturday morning after a big Friday night, it read "I used to feel young". 

I kept it and wore it occasionally and then on my first trip to Paris I had it on my backpack. At this point the badge was 22 years old, so it really DID mean what it said.   

Well,  while visiting Napoleon's tomb, it fell off my bag and down into the crypt where he was buried  and then bounced along the marble floor. If any of you know it you know it's all very quiet and solemn so the noise of the badge running along the floor made so much noise, that I got spooked and picked up my bag and slunk out, hoping not to get arrested!

Here is a pic of the inside, I was up the top and it fell down from there.



However,  I  do think of that badge from time to time, and if anyone ever found it down there near Napoleon's tomb and wonder how it got there, and how apt it was,  saying;

"I used to feel young" indeed you did Emperor!

What about you, did you ever "get into" badges, or do you think they should make a comeback??

0 comments:

 
template by suckmylolly.com : background by Tayler : dingbat font TackODing