Monday 9 September 2013

Chalk and Cheese

Last week I had the opportunity to spend 5 days in Singapore for work. It has been over 10 years since I was last there,  (apart from  stopovers at the airport en route to Europe) so I was interested to see how the city had changed in that time.

Boy,  was I impressed. Last time I was there (again for work) I was not that impressed with Singapore, it just seemed a crowded, hot city.  Although first impressions are usually sound, I must say on second look Singapore had a lot to recommend it ( for me at least).

My big love is architecture and Singapore does not disappoint. Unfortunately I did not get much time to take photos,  but on the way to the office each day on the bus I  got to see lots of interesting and forward thinking designs so I have put a couple up here for your consideration.





Now,  fast forward to the following weekend and we took our new kayaks out for a paddle. We are lucky that Kangaroo Valley is only 20 mins from here and we have access to a national park, Morton National Park via Tallowa Dam and into the wonderful Shoalhaven Gorge.

This time I had my camera and managed to get some pics, but what really struck me was the difference between where I had just been, Singapore  (only 36 hours before) and now.  I was in an area which looked almost untouched by humans.
My Kayak heading towards the Gorge 

Entering the Gorge



wonderful sandstone surrounds you on both sides

looking further into the gorge

Significant Other in his blue kayak

My selfie!

Our  speed, not bad!
 We paddled an hour up the gorge and then an hour or so back, just a short kayak as I was still a bit tired from the flight home.  We are planning to do a proper trip up the gorge where you can camp overnight as soon as the weather is consistently warm enough,  so stay tuned!

So,  I think that both the city and country can offer something for all our senses, which is your favourite?




0 comments:

 
template by suckmylolly.com : background by Tayler : dingbat font TackODing